Named after James Monroe, the fifth President of the United States, the city of Monroe was founded in 1838 and officially incorporated on April 4. 1858. Monroe is the county seat of Green County.
The mayor is elected citywide, and the ten alderpersons are elected by ward.
The Monroe City Council meets twice a month, the first and third Tuesday's of every month, at 7:30 p.m. in the Monroe City Hall.
To be placed on the agenda, individuals should contact the City Clerk at 608.329.2564 prior to the meeting.
City Hall is located at 1110 18th Avenue in downtown Monroe.
For additional information visit the City of Monroe web site.
Home of Celebrities
- Bob Anderegg - NBA Player for the New York Nicks (1959)
- Joseph Lobdell - NFL Player for Kansas City Chiefs and Indianapolis Colts (2007)
- Ric Mathias - NFL Player for Cincinnati Bengals (1998)
- Nathan Farragut Twining, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (1957 - 1960)
- Merill B. Twining, Four Star General in the United States Marine Corp., (1959)