Green County Courthouse
Listed as being constructed in 1891, this outstanding Romanesque style courthouse is one of the most photographed buildings in Green County. The courthouse towers well above any of the buildings in downtown Monroe. The stately courthouse has two 80-foot towers and a 120-foot clock tower and indeed is a very stately structure. The long, graceful stairs lead visitors into it's welcoming center and is quite appropriate that you will find the Green County Tourism office house in this historic facility that has welcomed citizens and newcomers for generations. The courthouse has traditionally served as the county government offices and will soon be the "Welcoming Center" to our visitors of Green County.
1016 16th Avenue, Monroe, WI 53566
Minhas Craft Brewery
The Minhas Brewery, formerly known as the Joseph Huber Brewing Company was built in 1845. The Brewery is the oldest continuously operating brewery in the Midwest and the second oldest in the nation. For a flavorful taste of history, be sure to take a tour! Tours available Friday and Saturday. Call 608.325.3191 for reservations. Minhas currently brews Huber, Rhinelander, and Mountain Crest brands as well as Blumer soda.
1208 14th Avenue, Monroe WI
Monroe Arts Center
The Monroe Arts Center building is home to many artists and performers throughout the year. The MAC, as commonly referred, once housed the Methodist Church and was built in 1869. This building of greek revival architecture features a stunning circular stained glass window, known as the Rose Window, on it's facade. The MAC hosts performing arts events while the Frehner Gallery features monthly exhibits of visual arts.
1315 11th Street, Monroe, WI
National Historic Cheesemaking Center
The National Historic Cheesemaking Center is located at the intersection of Hwy. 69 South and 21st Street. It is a restored 1888 Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul railroad depot. Tourists can recapture the past by touring the center which replicates an 1800s era cheese factory, along with displays, maps and history about our rich cheesemaking tradition. Their welcome center offers local, contry and state information on attractions and activities.
Facility open April through October
2108 6th Avenue, Monroe, WI 53566
Swiss Historical Village
New Glarus is home to the Swiss Historical Village which features life depicted from the early European settlers in the 1800s. The village is made up of 14 buildings including a settler's log home, blacksmith shop, smoke house, general store, school house, church and print shop.
612 7th Avenue New Glarus, WI
Turner Hall features a restaurant with regularly scheduled Swiss entertainment including polka bands and the Monroe Swiss Singers. Turner Hall also houses a bowling alley. The original Turner Hall was built in 1868, but burned to the ground in 1936. The community came together to build a new Swiss-style Turner Hall that was completed in 1938. Notable visitors include John F. Kennedy, William Jennings Bryant and Lawrence Welk.
1217 17th Avenue, Monroe, WI